The Ministry of Commerce and Business of the Authorities of India has lately up to date the Trademark guidelines. The brand new Trademark Guidelines, 2017 got here into impact by way of a Govt. notification on March sixth and can substitute the Trademark guidelines, 2002.
Among the many notable modifications made, the method of submitting for a trademark has been simplified however on the similar time, the charges for submitting a trademark have been hiked considerably, whereas making concessions for people, Startups and small enterprises.
Here’s a checklist of probably the most notable modifications made within the new Trademark Guidelines:
- Trademark software course of simplified: Underneath the brand new guidelines, the method of submitting a trademark software has now been simplified. Accordingly, the 75 separate kinds and purposes which have been employed earlier for finishing up numerous duties have now been changed by eight consolidated kinds, thereby streamlining the entire submitting course of.
- Charges for submitting a trademark hiked to 150%: The applying charges for trademark registration have been raised to 150% of the earlier charges. The brand new charges for a trademark software are actually Rs. 10,000. It’s noteworthy right here that E-filing of Emblems has been incentivised by a particular fee of Rs. 9,000 as charges for a trademark software when filed on-line. Nonetheless, a particular rebate of 50% has been given to People, Startups and Small Enterprises.
- People, Startups and Small Enterprises get concession in Trademark charges: Vital concession has been given to people, startups and small enterprises submitting for a trademark. For qualifying startups, people and small enterprises, the brand new Trademark charges are Rs. 5,000 and Rs. 4,500 for bodily submitting and E-filing respectively.
Small Enterprises and Startups outlined: For the aim of the above-mentioned concession, small enterprises and startups have been outlined within the new guidelines, as follows:
A small enterprise is an enterprise engaged within the manufacture or manufacturing of products, the place the funding in plant and equipment doesn’t exceed the restrict of Rs 10,00,00,000 and in case of an enterprise engaged in offering or rendering of providers, the place the funding in tools will not be greater than the restrict of Rs 5,00,00,000.
A startup means an entity, included or registered in India, not prior to 5 years, with annual turnover not exceeding INR 25,00,00,000 in any previous monetary yr and dealing in direction of innovation, improvement, deployment or commercialization of recent merchandise, processes or providers pushed by expertise or mental property. Nonetheless, if any entity fashioned by splitting up, or reconstruction, of a enterprise already in existence, it is not going to be thought of as a startup and likewise, an entity shall stop to be a Startup if its turnover for the earlier monetary years has exceeded INR 25 crore or it has accomplished 5 years from the date of incorporation/ registration. A Startup must acquire certification from the Inter-Ministerial Board.
- Expedited course of for Trademark Registration: In keeping with the brand new guidelines, the Authorities has launched an expedited course of for Trademark registration underneath Rule 34. This provision is barely out there for E-filing of the appliance. The Authorities charges for expedited processing of trademark software are Rs. 20,000 for people, startups and small enterprises, and Rs. 40,000 for all others.
- Charges for Opposition, Rectification and Renewal of Trademark additionally hiked: Authorities charges for discover of Opposition or software for Rectification have been hiked and are actually Rs. 3,000 and Rs. 2,700 respectively for bodily submitting and E-filing. The charges for Trademark renewal have additionally been raised to Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 9,000 respectively for bodily submitting and E-filing.
- Applicant’s Affidavit will likely be required to say ‘use’: Underneath the earlier guidelines, it was the Examiner’s discretion to name for Affidavit claiming the usage of a selected mark. Nonetheless, the brand new Guidelines have made it obligatory for the Applicant to file an Affidavit together with the supporting proof to say use of the mark. Due to this fact, if an software is to be filed claiming utilization in India, an affidavit with proof of use needs to be submitted together with the appliance.
- Sound marks can also now be registered: The brand new Trademark Guidelines present for submitting purposes for sound marks, which should now be submitted in an MP3 format, not exceeding 30 seconds in size. That is additionally to be accompanied with a graphical illustration of the sound notations. On this regard, the definition of “graphical illustration” has additionally been revised to incorporate illustration in digitized type.
- Request to enlist as Properly Recognized mark: Underneath Rule 124, any individual could make a request to enlist their mark as a widely known mark together with assertion of case, proof and paperwork. The charges for a similar is Rs.1,00,000/- (round USD 1400).
- Diminished Adjournments: Underneath Rule 50, throughout an opposition listening to, a celebration will not be entitled to ask for greater than two adjournments. This may cut back the time for resolution in instances considerably.
Supply by Shrijay Sheth